In the IPL final on Sunday, Yuzvendra Chahal took one wicket to take the outright lead in the Purple Cap race.
Yuzvendra Chahai might not have ended up on the winners podium after Rajasthan Royals lost to Gujarat Titans in the IPL final but had a lot to be pleased about with his overall performance in the IPL 2022. The leg-spinner won the Purple Cap by taking a total of 27 wickets in IPL 2022. Going into the match, Chahal was in second position despite having taken the same number of wickets (26) as RCB’s Wanindu Hasaranga. But by the virtue of a better economy rate, the Sri Lankan was heading the list. In the IPL final on Sunday, Chahal took one wicket to take the outright lead in the Purple Cap race. Chahal also surpassed Imran Tahir to become the spinner with most wickets in an IPL season.
Tahir had taken 26 wickets for the Chennai Super Kings in the 2019 IPL season.
This was Chahal’s first season with Rajasthan Royals after he was purchased by the team for Rs 6.50 crore in the IPL mega auction.
Royal Challengers Bangalore didn’t exercise their option to retain Chahal, allowing the star spinner to go into the auction pool.
Chahal repaid RR’s faith by producing some spectacular performances with the ball in IPL 2022.
Here is the updated Top 10 of the Purple Cap list for IPL 2022:
1. Yuzvendra Chahal – 27 wickets in 17 games
2. Wanindu Hasaranga – 26 wickets in 16 games
3. Kagiso Rabada – 23 wickets in 13 games
4. Umran Malik – 22 wickets in 14 games
5. Kuldeep Yadav – 21 wickets in 14 games
6. Mohammed Shami – 20 wickets in 16 games
7. Josh Hazlewood – 20 wickets in 12 games
8. Rashid Khan – 19 wickets in 16 games
9. Harshal Patel – 19 wickets in 15 games
10. Prasidh Krishna – 19 wickets in 17 games